Best Cold Press Juicers
Are you a juicing enthusiast looking to get fresh and nutritious when kick-starting your mornings?
Well, one way of guaranteeing this is by adding a cold press juicer in your kitchen arsenal.
Also known as a cold juicer or a masticating juicer, a cold press juicer has become a great alternative to most health-conscious people due to its ability to extract refreshing juice from fruits and vegetables without compromising with essential nutrients.
Although most juice companies claim to provide 100% fresh and original juices, majority of them lack essential nutrients required to meet your body’s nutritional needs.
Due to this reason, cold press juicers have been discovered to be the perfect alternative as they’re much better to use as compared to blenders and food processors.
So, if you’re a beginner in the cold press juicer business, then I believe you must be wondering about the best options to consider for 2019. But, first things first; let’s first discuss the key pointers you need to look at when choosing a cold press juicer.
How to choose the best cold press juicer
Although most home-owners use blenders and food processors, cold press juicers are essential and they come with their own advantages. So, since your main purpose is to buy a cold press juicer, here are some key pointers you need to consider when choosing the best cold press juicer.
Cleaning and maintenance
Unlike blenders and food processors, juicers are considered to be extremely powerful as they have to chop, squeeze, and push every drop of juice from your fruits or vegetables to extract nutritious juice. Due to these reasons, most of the natural enzymes and micronutrients are left on the system leading to build-up, stickiness and gradual damage of the appliance.
To prevent this, juicers need thorough cleanup on various parts such as the filter screen and the pulp ejection bin. To guarantee a high level of cleanliness, you need to select juicers with dishwasher safe parts as it makes it surprisingly easier to clean by just placing the parts on the sink or the dishwasher.
Budget for a masticating juicer
Another factor you need to keep in mind when shopping for a juicer is the budget. You see, juicers are not the same. While there are those cheaper alternatives available, there are also high-quality expensive options with immense build-in features and durable enough to stand the test of time. So, whether you’re looking for a manual juicer, a centrifugal juicer, or a masticating juicer, always make sure that you check your budget to ensure that value meets your requirements.
The noise level of a juicer is one of the silent features most buyers fail to check when shopping for one. In most cases, the typical noise level of any juicer should range somewhere from 81-88 decibels. Since juicers are kitchen appliances, they need to maintain low to moderate noise when operating to avoid disturbing other members of the family especially when they’re asleep.
Now, while focusing on the noise level, one key factor you need to keep in mind (which directly affects the noise level of a juicer) is the speed settings. For instance, centrifugal juicers use multi-speed settings which vary from 3,000 to 15,000 RPM. Although such juicers are powerful and efficient in terms of performance, they’re relatively noisier and consume a lot of energy.
On the other hand, masticating juicers use single-speed options and have speeds that vary from 60 to 160 RPM. These juicers are less noisy but less powerful.
Another factor that can affect the noise level of a cold press juicer is the environment. You see, juicing in a small kitchen under closed doors and windows will generally lead to loud noises as compared to if you’re juicing in a specious open space kitchen.
So, with such an eye opener, I believe you’re now able to make an informed decision when it comes to choosing the right juicer. Just to mention, when checking the sound ratings, please don’t forget to check the power ratings as well.
Pulp collection system
Buying a juicer isn’t enough. You also need to consider how easy it is to operate it to avoid damaging the appliance or ruining your juicing projects. One factor you need to consider here is the pulp ejection system.
Most of the juicers manufactured today come with either an internal or an external pulp collection bin. For those models that use the external pulp collection system, a small bin is usually placed at the pulp ejection hole to collect pulp. These models are considered to be the best as pulp is collected neatly thus preventing unnecessary clogging or molds.
The other model is the one that collects left-over pulp internally. Here, a small bin is placed inside the appliance where pulp is collected. Now, although these models are suitable for people with limited kitchen counter space, they’re usually susceptible to clogging and molds.
Best 5 Cold press juicers 2019
Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer
If you live in a small apartment with limited counter space or maybe you’re planning to buy a juicer without having to break the bank, the Hurom HU-100 is the perfect choice for you. With the ability to combine the efficiency of a masticating juicer with the strength of a centrifugal juicer, this juicer has managed to take your juicing rituals to the next level by providing you with nutritious, fresh and flavored high yield juice.
Unlike most centrifugal juicers, the Hurom HU-100 utilizes its patented slow squeezing technology to procure higher yields without compromising with heat-sensitive enzymes, vitamins and nutrients. Like it’s not enough, this juicer guarantees greater efficiency through utilizing its unique two-stage juicing process with the first dedicated to crushing and the second squeezing the pulp to extract more juice.
When it comes to the design, the Hurom HU-100 is available in Black, White or Silver coatings. It has a vertical design and a sleek bottom measuring 9.8×6.8×15.8 inches making it the perfect choice for small kitchens. Still on the design, this juicer is constructed with a heavy-duty strainer and auger which is made from stainless steel and Ultem plastic.
Finally, about the performance, the Hurom HU-100 is powered with an extremely powerful 150 Watts motor which has a decent warranty period of 10 years. Unlike centrifugal juicers, this one is extremely silent as it operates with a maximum noise level of 80 RPM.
Features of the Hurom HU-100 Masticating Slow Juicer
- Easy to use: this juicer is generally easy to use especially if you understand where each piece goes. The dual stage juicing process is excellent and the large feed chute means that you only have to pre-cut the pieces to make the process much easier. Now, the only drawback we’ve discovered with this juicer is its inability to process leafy greens such as kales, spinach, wheatgrass and celery. However, to handle this setback, you only need to alternate leafy greens with dense veggies or soft pieces.
- Slow squeezing technology: the SST technology is one of the features that make the Hurom HU-100 among the best masticating juicers in the market. This technology works hand-in-hand with the dual masticating process where precut pieces are first crushed in the Ultem auger before being pushed in the juicing strainer for further extraction. Since the process is slow, the results are high juice yield as well as high quality juice with high nutritional value.
- Quality design: we can’t just leave without touching anything about the design. To those customers who love style and elegance, the Hurom HU-100 comes in three distinct colors which are Black, White and Silver. It also features a vertical or upright design and has a handle that makes transportation a breeze.
- Easy cleanability: cleaning the Hurom HU-100 is very easy as you only need to disassemble all the components and clean them up with warm soapy water. Once clean, you can easily dry them up with your hands or using a towel before assembling them again.
- This juicer comes with a variety of colors to choose from.
- It has a light and compact design that allows it to fit in small kitchen counters.
- It produces higher yields with a high nutrient retention.
- All plastic parts are BPA free.
- It’s capable of juicing a high variety of produce.
- Its slow juice extraction process means that there’s no frothing or foaming.
- It has a super quiet operation.
- This juicer is generally slow and takes a long time to juice as compared to centrifugal juicers.
- It’s not the best for juicing leafy greens such as kales, spinach and wheatgrass.
- It can get clogged easily.
Overall, the Hurom HU-100 Masticating Juicer has truly excelled in juicing most produce except leafy greens. However, if these leafy greens are alternated with softer pieces, then this juicer will not struggle to give you nothing short of a high yield delicious juice with high nutritional value to your body. The design is inspiring and the overall performance is just excellent keeping in mind it’s a masticating juicer.
Next in this review, we have the Champion Classic 2000 Single Auger Commercial Juicer. Formerly known as the Champion G5-PG-710, this juicer is a commercial grade masticating version that can be used both for personal and commercial use.
Starting off with the performance, this juicer is powered by a mammoth 650 watts 1/3 horsepower GE motor that allows it to step up to any juicing challenge with enthusiasm. It also has a stainless steel cutting shaft that’s not only long lasting but also handles tough cutting jobs to enhance perfection. With such strength and elegance, this juicer is highly versatile and capable of performing a wide variety of kitchen tasks such as purring food, making delicious sorbets, making salsa and nut butter.
Since this juicer is designed for commercial use, Champion Classic has added front and rear ball bearings to enhance cooler and smoother operation when juicing under heavy-duty conditions. All parts are entirely made of stainless steel and high-grade polymers to make it extremely sturdy and durable.
Features of the Champion Classic 2000 Single Auger Commercial Juicer
- Heavy-duty parts: since this juicer is intended to work under tough conditions, Champion Classic has managed to compensate this juicer by using heavy-duty parts such as the powerful 650 Watts motor and the stiff tempered stainless steel cutting shafts. Like it’s not enough, Champion has added rubberized stoppers on all the four legs to prevent any movement when the juicer is operating.
- Easy usability: the Champion G5-PG-710 is surely a champion as its name suggests. When it comes to commercial use, this juicer allows continuous feeding of fruits and vegetables until the entire juicing project is complete. The juicer is not self-feeding so you have to push the pre-cut pieces inside the chute using a tamper rather than your bare fingers to prevent any accidents. The motor and the shaft are easy to operate as they move smoothly thanks to the front and rear ball bearings.
- Highly versatile: the Champion G5-PG-710 is also considered to be highly versatile thanks to its ability to process almost anything. Although you’ll require separate attachments to process some of the ingredients, this juicer is able to juice most of the fruits, vegetables and cereals without struggling. Despite the high power, the quality of juice is slightly lower in quality as this juicer operates with blistering power at an RMS that goes as high as 1,725.
- It can juice faster than most masticating juicers.
- It’s powerful and capable of juicing a wide variety of produce.
- Since it’s a commercial grade juicer, all parts are heavy-duty and able to stand the test of time.
- Automatic pulp ejection allows you to juice continuously.
- You can insert optional attachments when making various foods such as nut butter, salsa, leafy greens, and pureed foods.
- It has a high RPM that degrades the quality of juice produced.
- At 23 pounds, this juicer is considered to be heavy keeping in mind it doesn’t have a handle.
- It doesn’t come with separate attachments thus forcing you to spend a fortune just to get them.
Overall, the Champion G5-PG-710 is a powerful, durable and commercial grade juicer that’s recommended for those people who juice regularly or those planning to set up a juice bar.
All parts are made of BPA free plastic and stainless steel meaning safety is highly guaranteed. The juice produced is healthy and refreshing though it’s a little bit lower in quality in terms of nutritional value.
This masticating juicer is versatile and capable of grinding and homogenizing. However, the painful part is that you have to buy the attachments separately to ensure that you enjoy the most out of this juicer.
Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer
First, it was the Hurom HU-100 then the Champion G5-PG-710. Now, we have another slow extracting juicer which is none other than the Omega j8006. Quite similar to the Hurom HU-100, this masticating juicer also uses a dual stage juicing action to efficiently extract maximum nutrients, minerals, enzymes and vitamins from fruits and vegetables.
Unlike the Champion G5-PG-710, the Omega j8006 uses a slow auger that rotates at a top speed of 85 RMS. The result: the result is a high quality healthy juice that has less oxidation, less frothing and foaming and rich in vitamins and essential nutrients.
Speaking of the performance, this masticating juicer has a lot to offer to all kitchen enthusiasts. First and foremost, this juicer is packed with immense torque and power. Although its an ordinary domestic juicer, its blistering extraction power allows it to not only juice, but also perform other kitchen tasks such as making nut butter, baby food, pasta and grinding coffee beans incase you need to brew a fresh cup of java.
Finally about the design, the Omega j8006 is a horizontal juicer designed with a wide base and a stabilized nature. It has a very strong GE Ultem auger that’s 8 times stronger than most ordinary augers. It’s powered by a quiet yet strong 2HP 150 Watts motor that makes it one of the most powerful and most efficient masticating juicers in the industry.
Features of the Omega j8006 Nutrition Center Juicer
- High versatility: unlike the Champion G5-PG-710 that requires you to purchase additional attachments, the Omega j8006 is designed with a very strong auger that lets it grind both hard and soft produce. Since it operates at a slower speed, the motor will have enough power to push the components to work efficiently throughout the juicing or grinding process.
- Easy usability: the Omega j8006 is among the simplest masticating juicers to operate. Assembling the parts is pretty easy and the juicing routine is just easy going. The feeding chute is 1.5 inches which is quite narrow. This means you have to slice smaller pieces of fruits and vegetables and avoid pressing them too hard down the tube to avoid clogging. The best part however is that this juicer has a reverse function that allows you to unclog.
- High quality juice: although this juicer extracts juice much slower than most centrifugal juicers, the end result is perfect and unmatched. The quality of juice produced is healthy and has high nutritional value with less oxidation, froth and foam. The slow extracting process allows the blades to eat through the fibers to extract maximum nutrients and vitamins to get the healthiest juice possible.
- Balanced nature: the Omega j8006 is a horizontal masticating juicer meaning it rests perfectly and securely on the kitchen countertop. It has a wide base and stable rubberized feet making it almost impossible to slide or knock it over when cleaning or performing other kitchen chores.
Juice produced by this juicer can be tightly sealed and preserved for up to 72 hours.
- The super strong GE Ultem auger allows this juicer to process a wide variety of produce ranging from fruits, vegetables, leafy greens to nuts and beans.
- The slow juicing process means that this juicer is less noisy and produces higher yields.
- It has a reverse function that lets you unclog the system incase you feed too much fruits or veggies on the tube.
- It has a wide base that produces the right balance and stability.
- The chrome finish is stain resistant and offers this juicer years of service.
- It also allows automatic pulp ejection for continuous juicing process.
- This juicer has a narrow chute that requires extra preparation of your fruits and veggies.
- For busy folks out there, this juicer is typically slower than most centrifugal juicers.
- A fraction of the customers have complained about the design where they’ve mentioned the auger has a tendency of scratching against the metal mesh leaving plastic shavings scattered all over the juice during the extraction process.
Overall, the Omega j8006 is a masticating juicer at its best. It’s highly affordable, powerful and versatile enough to process a wide variety of produce. It utilizes the dual stage masticating process to yield a decent amount of juice that has a high nutritional value. The only drawback I’d like to mention is about the construction where the auger keeps colliding with the metal mesh. Other than that, this juicer is powerful and suited to anyone looking to extract high quality nutritious juice that meets your healthy lifestyle.
Breville BJS600XL Fountain Crush Masticating Slow Juicer
Moving on with our humble review, we have the Breville BJS600XL Fountain Crush Slow Juicer. Now, whenever we hear big names such as Breville, what comes to mind is centrifugal juicer right? Although these juicers are ultimately powerful, Breville has opted to take another path into the world of masticating juicers in an attempt to dominate in both the high-speed juicers and the cold press juicing industries.
Now, although the Breville BJS600XL is a cold press juicer, this appliance also has a lot of torque and power thanks to its powerful 240 watts motor. Operating at a slow speed of 80 RPM, this juicer has the capacity to crush and extract high quality juice without compromising with essential nutrients, vitamins and enzymes. The use of silicon blades ensures that there’s less clogging as pulp is effectively removed from the strainer with ease.
When it comes to the design, Breville has opted to use a compacter vertical style rather than the space consuming horizontal style. This approach has been welcomed with positive criticism from most customers as it allows them to save immense counter space to display other kitchen appliances.
Finally about versatility, the Breville BJS600XL is capable of handling huge juicing projects. Other than juicing ordinary fruits and vegetables, this juicer is capable of tackling leafy greens, apples, carrots, wheatgrass and berries among others.
Features of the Breville BJS600XL Fountain Crush Slow Juicer
- High juice yield: the best thing about cold press juicers is that they deliver high juice yield. For the case of the Breville BJS600XL, the yield is even higher as it uses a very powerful motor that pushes the stainless steel blades to extract as much juice as possible from the pulp. While delivering its best, this juicer is not noisy at all. At 80 RPM, the noise level is bearable though it might have a little bit of nagging clamor if you’re juicing hard veggies.
- Vertical design: another feature we can’t fail to mention is the vertical design. Although horizontal style juicers have their own advantages, the upright orientation of this juicer makes it economical in terms of saving counter space and also makes it easier to feed fruits or veggies on the feeder chute. The vertical auger picks up from there and pulls the pieces inside to crush them and produce a healthy tasting juice.
- High quality juice: the quality of juice produced by this machine is just outstanding. With the aid of a powerful 240 watts motor combined with its slow extracting mechanism, the juice produced has less froth, foam and oxidation making it highly nutritious. In addition to that, this juicer is able to blend a variety of rich nutrient produce to bring in a magical twist to your juice.
- Easy to use: using the Breville BJS600XL is very easy as you only need to follow the instructions. Since the feeding tube is very narrow, it’s recommended that you first slice and dice the pieces before feeding them inside to prevent clogging. Finally, this juicer is equipped with a unique dual direction movement that allows the auger to move in either direction to prevent clogging.
- Weighing just 14 pounds, this juicer is light enough to carry from one location to another.
- Its upright orientation makes it the best for small kitchens.
- Juice produced has less oxidation allowing it to remain fresh for up to 72 hours.
- Also capable of juicing a high amount of produce.
- The juice yield extracted by this juicer is relatively high.
- It has a direction control that allows you to unclog the auger if you need to.
- The small feeding tube requires you to spend a lot of your time preparing the fruits.
- The price of this juicer is relatively higher as compared to similar brands.
- The parts are not BPA free.
It’s impressive how Breville managed to enter into the world of cold press juicers and immediately secure a spot. The Breville BJS600XL has truly impressed most customers especially cold press juicer diehards due to its promising performance. Although this juicer is typically similar to Omega in terms of design and technology, its high extraction power has given it an upper hand as compared to most of its closest rivals.
Juicepresso Best Juicer Cold Press Juicer
Finally, in our review, we have the Juicepresso Cold Press Juicer. Now, if you’re an avid juicer looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle, then this juicer is exactly what you need. Why? First and foremost, this juicer is one of the slowest in the industry. While most masticating juicers operate at a top speed of 80 RMS, the Juicepresso operates at an incredibly slower pace of just 40 RPM giving it immense time and space to extract high juice yield without ruining its nutritional value.
This juicer is surprisingly powered by a strong AC motor that allows it to process a wide variety of produce such as leafy greens, fruits and veggies. Due to its slow extraction speed, this juicer is able to yield high quality juice with less froth and oxidation.
To those customers living in small apartments with limited kitchen space, the Juicepresso Cold Press Juicer is a smart choice as it has the smallest footprint of any vertical juicer in the market. This juicer is also BPA free, dishwasher safe and comes with a 100% 30 day moneyback guarantee alongside a full seven year warranty.
Features of the Juicepresso Cold Press Juicer
- Low speed: the slow speed of the Juicepresso is virtually important as it helps the juicer to retain essential nutrients and good bacteria for a more organic healthy juice. Although busy folks will not like the slow 40 RPM extraction speed, the best thing is that the juice produced has less oxidation meaning it can be stored inside a fridge for three days without losing its nutritional value.
- Continuous juicing: another feature that has come to compensate the slow operating speed of this juicer is the continuous juicing. This is enhanced by the extra wide mouth that allows pieces of fruits to be fed inside the feeder tube continuously without having to switch off the juicer. This feature comes in very handy as more time is saved when juicing continuously rather than switching off the appliance time after time.
- Small base: finally, the small footprint of this juicer is another excellent feature we can’t just forfeit. Measuring 6×8×17 inches, this juicer is considered to be very sleek and perfect for kitchens with limited counter space.
- Chrome outer finish blends with most kitchen décor.
- Extra wide mouth allows for continuous juicing process.
- Low speed ensures that your juice maintains its quality and health benefits.
- Small footprint helps save more kitchen space.
- All parts are dishwasher safe.
- Comes with a decent 7 year warranty on parts and motor.
- Some customers complain the machine is very expensive.
- This juicer operates at a very slow speed.
- It doesn’t have sufficient power.
In conclusion, the Juicepresso Cold Press Juicer is one of the best juicers to depend on if at all you wish to enjoy a glass of organic freshly extracted juice. Although it operates at the lowest speed as compared to most masticating cold press juicers, the quality of juice produced is relatively high. Another major boost is the small footprint. Although it does save you kitchen space, one major drawback is that its less stable and easy to fall over incase you knock it accidentally. Other than that, the Juicepresso Cold Press Juicer is an excellent option that comes with high specifications that makes it a worthy investment.
Conclusion and advices on how to use and maintain a cold press juicer
If you’ve read up to this point, then I believe you have all the information needed to live a healthy lifestyle. If you have long been depending on processed juices, it’s a high time that you develop new juicing rituals by using any of the above cold press juicers to extract organic highly nutritious juice.
Although juicing sounds to be an easy going daily routine, the issue of usage and maintenance of a cold press juicer is one silent factor we usually fail to consider. So, to help you enjoy the best out of your masticating juicer, this section will highlight some detailed advices on how to use and maintain your juicer.
As you’ve already seen, juicers are extremely beneficial in helping us live a healthy and safer lifestyle. Instead of consuming processed juices with lots of additives, filler and artificial flavors, juicers offer us a special way of consuming nutrient rich juices with immense health benefits. Due to such benefits, it’s essential that you consider the health of your juicer to ensure that it offers you a long and productive lifespan. With that said, here are some advices on how to use and maintain your juicer.
- Don’t rely on outside help to clean and maintain your machine. This is not only expensive, but it makes it hard to track the maintenance record than having an internal employee doing it.
- Make someone accountable for the maintenance of your machine. Keep a checklist log book as well as the maintenance progress on a daily basis.
- Incase there’s any equipment issues, address it immediately to avoid making the situation worse. If left unattended, the equipment can get damaged even further making it too late to get repaired.
- If you’re an avid juicer, or maybe you juice for commercial purposes, always have an extra juicer around to fill the void when the main juicer is damaged.
- When it comes to cleanup, always remember to disconnect the appliance from the main power source entirely to prevent electrocution. Remember to disassemble the parts entirely before cleaning them. Run water through the system to dislodge any pulp residue. Read through the manual to check whether the parts are dishwasher safe or not.